Today I turned 50. I know it sounds like a big thing, but really this is how turning 50 changed my life.....for the better of course.
Nana got really sick on Wednesday and was throwing up blood. So we had to put her in the 24 hour care facility that Odessy Hospice has. It is a wonderful place and I knew that she would get the care that she needed. She was just fine on Tuesday and went to Ashley's softball game at the high school. But by that night and into the morning the flu had gotten her and gotten her bad.
So this morning we woke up and had Papa get ready so that we could take him to see her.
This was how I got spend my day.....
Wow was that lifechanging. Who care's about 50, try being married to someone for way longer then that and just being plain helpless in the things you can to do make it all better.When we went to leave he was so sad, but did not want to stay either. I am so glad I was quick with the phone camera because to me this is a memory I will cherish forever.
Papa is not usually a tender person, infact quite the opposite, so seeing this moment will get me through whatever life brings I hope.
Taking care of Nana has been a difficult pleasure. If that is even a way to describe. Not always fun at all, and never convienent, but simply a pleasure to be able to serve her and dad.
So instead of big parties, or cake and ice cream, I got to spend a moment in my day watching a grumpy old man, melt into a precious son of God who just isn't quite sure what he will do without her. Life's lessons learned. Happy Birthday to me......
(We don't know how mom will come out of this, but we know whatever the outcome we have definately grown from the journey and we love her, all of us do.) It's His plan not ours so we just keep plugging through this life and sometimes we get the opportunity to
STOP AND SMELL THE ROSES
Thanks for all of your prayers and love we will keep you posted.
Thanks for all of your prayers and love we will keep you posted.
Hope your day was as wonderful as mine was, I wouldn't trade it for anything.... :)
8 comments:
so sorry to hear about your Mom, I just love her. I have been thinking about you all day, and want to wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I miss you and feel bad I didn't know about Jordon's call. He looks great! Love Ya
Wendi~
You have a kind of spiritual pragmatism that I must say is completely unique to you, and ultimately admirable. (pragmatism: realism: the attribute of accepting the facts of life and favoring practicality and literal truth )
Happy Birthday, pretty lady. Its these moments, these small hours, which make up life.
Much love, glad you are my mother in law.
Rachel
Wendi,
We will be in the valley again this weekend. I don't know that we will wake up in time to go to Northpoint on Sunday. Nate's great grandma passed away on Wednesday she was either 96 or 98. She is my kid's great GREAT grandma! We are having a big fhe at the mortuary and then all the "festivities" with the funeral tomorrow. Nate has come from a great family. She has left a legacy. It will be great to see all of her posterity! I love this gospel and the knowledge that Heavenly Father has a plan for us and the we can be with our families together. So this weekend we can celebrate our Great (great) grandma. It will be long and busy.
We will be in town next weekend for Nate's birthday party- i sent an e-vite to Herb. I hope you can make it! Nate will be the entrainment-I don't think he knows yet- but he has some great songs to share.
Wendi, that post made me cry. Thanks for sharing your sweet experience. What a great outlook you have. Love ya!
Mom,
You are ultimately the best example of patience and service. To give up your day for everyone else is something not everyone would do. I am so glad you got that picture, true love really does come through the cracks when it's down to what matters most. We love you and are so thankful for your example. Happy Birthday!
Wendi, you sweet post made me cry. What a great moment in your life to see a crusty man melt as he left his poor wife and not knowing how she will fair through the night. The picture is just precious! You have taught me so much about love and service. Now if you will just let me do something for you!!
Thanks for your sweet post on my blog. But I am in no way in shape. You must be losing your eyesight since you turned 50!
I am sorry about your mom. But what a positive outlook you have on a tough situation. I will keep those thoughts in mind as I turn the big 50 in a few months.
Tears are streaming down my face. Thank you so much for this very tender story. I love you and your service goes on and on and on. Wendi I hope you know how many lifes you have touched I know it is to many to count. Happy 50th Birthday!!!!!! Missing you!!!
Post a Comment