Monday, April 18, 2011

Out of the mouths of babes....

Yesterday in Primary was simply choice. I love primary, I want to stay there for the rest of my life. I know that some people consider primary to be the cave and a place where you never get to meet anyone else or associate with other adults, but even if that was true, I don't care the joy that I get every single week I am with those amazing spirits that really could be leading the church NOW, is worth never meeting another soul again. But I know that is just me, and I know me and I make a huge effort to go out of my box and meet people, so I guess I don't feel like I need that extra visit with adults at church. Anyway on to my amazing sweet experience there yesterday.

It was ward conference and I love that day. I could care less about being nervous with the Stake visiting. I have served in the Stake too many times that I know they just love you no matter what and are not there to judge your every move. So knowing me (if you do) I always want to be the loudest, happiest, and funnest primary alive. I do believe that we are, and I love it. This month is on the Atonement of Christ in all of its levels, and so that is not easy to be loud about and still have the spirit, but these kids are amazing and we can have the spirit and still learn in a very fun exciting way about the most wonderful gift of the atonement. I threw up the 3rd article of faith. It was in pieces, each word separate and then they all grabbed a piece and we went to the board and put them in order. They were quik and quiet, no words was the challenge, so they had to work together in silence and get it all in order. They were amazing, and perfect of course. Did not miss a thing. After they all went to their seats we began to ask questions about this article of faith and break it down to learn every segment of it. We talked about what His part was and what our part was. What is the difference between a law and an ordinance, and what blessings we receive by obeying them. Then we played the most amazing game (we always play this game they love it). So for you primary leaders out there who have not tried this, try it, it is so much fun.
In January when it was my sharing time we did this game and they just would play it each week and never get tired of it. But with the theme for the year of I Know the Scriptures are True, I really wanted them to learn not only what was in the scriptures but how to use all of the helps in the scriptures as well. I wish I was a kid now, I would be so much better at the scriptures. Anyway so we play this game that helps them to use their topical guide and find scriptures for differenct topics or words. They turn to the topical guide, all of them, and then someone picks a word, any word, but this week they were words about the atonement, and then they roll a dice to pick which book of scriptures to find the scripture in. It is amazing how they just search and search. The first one to not only find the reference in the TG, but goes to the actual scripture stands up, and that is the person who gets to share their scripture. Then we discuss the scripture and what it has to do about the word. I am amazed that when you are prepared then the Lord just shows up and takes over from there. I love watching all of that happen. One of the words was love, and the little one that found the scripture first read it and it was the one about loving your enemies, and those that hurt and despise you. Wow that took off and we were able to discuss how our actions affect people in so many different ways, and then I was able to share my birthday cake story. Little did I know a story about a birthday cake would bring the spirit so strong. Again, the Lord is amazing. There is a young man in the 11 year old class. He is so great, I adore him, well I adore them all but this one has a huge talent in baking. His dad and brother are our Home Teachers, and so we are the recipients of many yummy baked items. Anyway I went to work on my Birthday Friday afternoon to a class there, and one of the other people there asked me what kind of cake I was having. Well at our home, we don't really do birthday cakes much anymore, and on my birthday if I want a cake I usually have to make it. On the Sunday after our birthdays is really when we get our cakes, and this year Christopher my oldest made me a yummy texas sheet cake. But on my actual birthday I told my friend that we just don't worry about it much. It's no big deal. Just then my sweet little Anna and Calin and Rachel and Christopher came by with yellow sunflowers and a huge piece of chocolate cake. Yum. I was so happy to see them, and Anna was very happy to give me the suprises. Anyway when I got home my wonderful husband was visiting with our Home Teacher and in his hand was a beautiful birthday cake, that Logan (My 11 year old primary boy) had made just for me. It was so amazing to me that he would think of me on that day and go to all of the trouble to bake me that cake, and I felt so happy inside. So I did have cake, a yummy chocolate piece from my kiddos and a really tasty lemon cake with lemon and grapefruit frosting. It was'nt even the fact that I did have a birthday cake, it was that people were thinking of me. We do make of difference in peoples lives, how we treat them is very important and the children learned that when we are nice it matters and when we are mean it matters. People are effected by how people treat them. So if we are able to love those that are mean to us, how much better will we be in the end. I know it all sounds crazy, and you probably had to be there, but I was very much affected by Sunday with these wonderful children of God.

In Jr. primary sharing time, we talked about what an example is, and how we can be like Jesus. When they first came into the room the pianist was playing last years song "I Know that My Savior Loves Me" and I just felt like we needed to sing it before we started sharing time, and sing it they did. I love that song, it speaks to all of us of His love and that is so important. At the end of the song I had goose bumps from head to toe and so did everyone else. One of the little sunbeams said "I feel cold I have chills", well there you go, the spirit and children, it's the best. So we stopped and took a moment to teach them that they were not cold, but that the spirit had just told them that Jesus does love them so much. I love those ahhha moments. They are the best. Anyway we picked pictures out of the magic apron and they talked about how we can follow Christs example and be like him in the pictures. It was great, but the best part was when they were in singing time after they were learning Jesus Once was a Little Child and they learned the part that said and He was pure and meek and mild as a little child should be. After singing time which was wonderful I love that song, it was time for the closing prayer. We picked Nicole, a sweetie pie to pieces, and she was praying and saying the regular, help us be safe when we go home, and help us be good, and come back next week, and then she paused, and she sweetly said and please help us to be pure and meek and mild, finished her prayer, and there was not one adult who did not have tears in their eyes. I really really wish that everyone could have experiences what I did on Sunday. I know this is long post with no cute pictures, but I never ever want to forget the feeling that I felt in that room secluded from the rest of the ward. I am happy happy happy to be in the cave of children that make my days and weeks better. They really could be the leaders of the church and the world right now. They are beyond precious. OUT OF THE MOUTHS OF BABES.
There is nothing better in this world then the testimony of a child. I LOVE THEM

4 comments:

Marilyn said...

Oh Wendi, you brought tears to my eyes! I LOVE this post and how you affect those little ones you serve. You are a great example to me, and I too am loving Primary. You said it all in your post. Love ya!!

kathleen said...

It's us crazy Payne cousins gathered to laugh and reminisce about the old days. Aren't you jealous!!!!!

We love you!

Nancy (Haws) Mann
Kathleen (Haws) Moffitt
Lori Ethel (Dalton) Nelson

Sunderhaus Family said...

I think there is no one I know who magnifies their calling more than you

Unknown said...

tears, loved this post little children are so incredible and close to our Heavenly Father why wouldn't anyone want to be around them?