Tuesday, May 29, 2012

I AM SOOOOOO EXCITED TO INTRODUCE YOU.....

 When I was a little girl and began taking piano lessons (wish I would have practiced), this is what I learned on. We didn't have a piano at the time, but we had this old organ. It only plays when you pump it with your feet and I was too little to reach the pedals so my mom would get down on the ground and pump the pedals, and I would practice!!!
Isn't that so cool. My mom's the best......
 Recently in our ward there was a change in the Primary and I was released (sadly), but in that release I received a new calling (Heavenly Father has such a sense of humor) it is to be the
Ward Organist!!!! That's right, never have touched an organ in my life is what I responded with and the Bishop did not seemed phased by that at all. You must understand that even thought I took piano lessons, I am not a pianist. I can play a little out of the primary book, but that is it. The Hymn book just sat pretty on the stand and waited for me to peek inside here and there. But ward organist.......
what where they thinking. After much laughter and pleading I finally just said yes.
(what was I thinking) I have to say that this has been a test of faith for sure.
After long hours of practicing (now I decide to practice, hey it works) I could play a enough hymns to start the journey. My poor mother would spend hours with me down at the church trying to figure out what I could play so that they congregation would not get up and leave.
 I will never forget the first Sunday that I played. February 5, 2012
THOUGHT I WOULD DIE
But I didn't. the Lord showed up as He always does and helped to breath and do what I had practiced. Faith without works is dead, I had worked and was building faith and
I DID IT!!!
It was conquering to say the least.

 That said it has been a long 5 months and I am improving, and I have never played any song twice so far. That will soon change cuz I am running out of Sacrament Hymns but that's okay it's been 5 months, we will just start all over again.
One day I was at my moms and I asked if I could try playing the old organ and so we did.
It was a blast. I have always coveted the organ at my moms and she always said I could have it when I wanted it, but I never thought that it would come full circle in my life and mean so much to me.

 Isn't she beautiful. She has come so far in life and she still works.
I can't remember exactly if it is my Great Grandma Fish or my Great Great Grandma Brinkerhoff that had this organ brought back to mesa by train from the Ogden Tabernacle when they were tearing it down to build the Ogden Temple. But whoever it was I am so grateful. It was passed down through all of these years from Great grandmas to grandmas to my mom and now me.
I felt really bad taking her from my moms house, (evidently not bad enough to leave her there)
and ever since I just tear up alot when I play her. The memories of childhood race back and of a wonderful mother who was willing to get on the floor so that I could learn just a little how to play.
And now as I pump those peddles myself I realize that was not an easy task.
So thank you mom for all of your sacrifices for me.
I will never be a wonderful organist, but I am the WARD ORGANIST
and I am building faith each week as I practice and then turn it over to Him.
Now I won't have to go to the church as often so that I can get the fingering down.
It is so different then the piano and there is no sustaining pedal on the organ, so this will be such a blessing for me to be able to simple practice at home most days and not have to find someone to go to the church with me.
These pedals will always hold great memories for me of my mom and her love.
This old organ has history in it we will never know, but I am greatful for a little
piece of history in my house, and for the pioneers who worked really hard for us
to have the things that we have today. I think about how ironic all of this is,
how right now they are remodeling the very Temple in Ogden that took the place of the Beautiful Ogden Tabernacle so many years ago. Without that happening I would not have this
beautiful piece of history that still works
wanna hear it!!!
You'll have to excuse the mistakes, but check out the workout I get each time I practice!!!
Gotta love the perks
PS if you listen close at the end you can hear the sweet little birds singing. It's a hole in the bellows we think, but I love the sound of birds so me it is a great perk!!!

thanks mom for this beautiful organ,
but thanks more for all of your love.

6 comments:

Sunderhaus Family said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Holy hannah, ankle workout!!!!!
Oh my gosh that is so special! I am so sorry I couldn't comment earlier! I had to work late because of Memorial Day - I was at work til 8, got home at 9, then wrote a 5 page paper. But I wanted to see this before I went to bed.

This is the coolest thing ever. How special that you can practice in your own home. I have to say, though, I always found it really special that Herb would go with you while you practiced.

I love the video!
Listen to you go! All of nature likes an organ, I think, because there's a kind of glorious madness about the whole thing :) It sounds like the jungle or the forest all making noise in the same song. I don't know, maybe I am crazy!

Congratulations, and tell your mom she is super sweet for understanding. What in the world is your mom keeping where the old organ was? Just curious....

I love it. I just wish Banana and Monkey were there to listen to you play. As for "just" being the ward organist, there is no "just" in the service of the Lord. People might become famous singers, or highly paid pianists or organists, but there is nothing better than when they dedicate their time and talents to the Lord. Your weaknesses will become strengths, he said, and apparently sometimes you get a gift on the way so the Lord knows that You know the he loves you and is watching you.

Tell Grandma Welker and Grandpa Welker I love them. I miss them very much.

I love you too.

Rachel

P.S. I asked Anna where she wanted to go the other night. She said "Namie's House, Mama. We just go over the hill and then drive a little way. She's right over there."

Chrissie said...

Love this post!!! You are my hero for accepting that calling when you didn't have any experience. So many people would just say no. You are awesome :)

brightfamfarm said...

LOVE it!!!!

Lisa said...

Wendi!!!

The Organ is beautiful!

You are so awesome up there playing the organ at church. YOu do such a wonderful job.It is truly amazing how our Heavenly Father helps us get through our fears and conquer our journey with faith.

Thank you so very much for being such a beautiful spirit into our Sacrament Meeting each week.

Love you lady!!!

LaDonna said...

Oh my goodness! She's beauuuutiful! There's just something special about those "old" items with all that history attached isn't there? Can't think of a more special person to enjoy such a special gift.
What a sweet momma you had. Thanks for sharing your sweet story. Love it!

LaDonna said...

sorry... HAVE ... as in present tense. You "have" a sweet mom.