Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I Wonder If He Knew...

This past week we lost a wonderful man in our lives. I had not seen Jack since last volleyball season when he came to watch one of Jordan's big games. He was like that, he would just show up in your life at random times and it was always a really good thing. He use to ref some of their games but for the past few years he hadn't done that anymore. And still he came, to support, to enjoy the company, and to make all of us laugh and feel good about the day. Jack Heinrick was a man who lived a life of serving others every single day. As my children and my husband and I have reflected back this week on how he affected our family, the memories have just flooded our minds. But the thing I have thought about most is... I wonder if he knew the impact he had in this world. Every one of my children had him as a substitute teacher at one point or another during their elementary school lives. He was the favorite sub ever and I always knew when they had been taught by Jack that day. It seemed to be the first happy news out of their mouths as soon as they walked through the door. Somehow he made that school day the best. Always positive and making them feel better about who they were. And then when they all started playing volleyball, if he was the referee, they knew that the game would be called with fairness on both sides. He would take the time to explain the call and teach, even from the referee stand. Always the same for both sides and always right, so they knew if the call was made it was because it was the right call. The respect my children had for him was amazing. Not only did he ref their games, but even if he wasn't reffing, he would often times show up just to cheer them on. And the after the game tell them what a great job they had done. I will never, ever forget when he took the time to come and visit our Jacque when she injured her ankle so badly during her sophimore year. He came to our home in his shorts and polo shirt, with his socks and black high top converse tennis shoes, bearing gifts. He did not have to come, but he did. So many times in my life I wish I would have just gone to visit someone when I knew they were down, but got busy and never made it there. I don't think that he ever missed an opportunity to make that visit to people. He spent a great deal of time that day encouraging Jacque about her injury. That she should take her time and heal properly so that she could come back even stronger then she was. He boosted her spirits and made her laugh, and for that wonderful time spent with her, her day and the months of recovery to come were made easier. He lifted that burden for her, and I wonder if he knew he had done that. God sends angels in our lives and I wonder if Jack had any clue what an angel he was. I loved seeing his bright red truck at the school and knew that someones class were the lucky ones today, he would be their teacher. I loved seeing him in the Basha's parking lot, getting whatever he got in the morning at Bagel Nosh and knowing that the people that worked there were lucky to get to see him so often. I wonder if his boys and Helen knew how proud he was of them. How hard he worked for their family and how much he supported them, actually I don't doubt for a minute that they knew. How could they not. He beamed when he spoke of his family, of those wonderful grandchildren, of their educations and what they were up to. Always a story to tell, and no matter what the day had brought before you saw Jack, it all of sudden became a better day. He could make you laugh no matter what, and always, always you went away a happier person. His smile will forever be in my memory. Gratitude for having known him will be what I carry for the rest of this life on earth. And memories, wonderful, amazing, hillarious, memories is what I will have to help my family get through this. I wish I could help his family in some small way to feel better. There is going to be a giant gap in this world without this man. Volleyball season will not be the same. The stands will be a little emptier and his spirit will be missed for sure. I really do wonder if he knew the impact he was making while walking through this life. It was an honor to know him and to have him be a part of our world. Thanks Jack, we love you.

6 comments:

Sunderhaus Family said...

I really liked Jack. He was such an engaging person with such a bright light. I'll bet you he cracks the angels up :)

curtis and jacque dana said...

I sure will hang onto those many memories we have of him! I am sure he is just as loved, if not more where he is at now and is realizing what a neat impact he had on so many! Thanks mom

elizabeth lawlor said...

i hope that people talk about me that when when i leave this earth! i know tons of people will do the same for you wendi! you are one of those type of people! everyone loves you!
when does season start? at RM?

Sherrie said...

Wendi you are an angel to many people too. I hope his family gets to read your post it was amazing very touching. Thank you for being my angel!!!!!!!!

Vicki Johnson said...

Hi to my HAPPY Friend. Love You!! ♥

Marilyn said...

Wendi, such a sweet tribute to your friend. I didn't know him but knew of him and he sounded like a wonderful man.
Keep your chin up with the whole caretaker thing. It will be so easy to let it get you down, but just know I am right around the corner and can be there in 10 minutes!