Thursday, February 5, 2009

Maxi Pads Galore!!!

This my friends is a homemade maxi pad. I know you are wondering, "what on earth is that for", well let me just fill you in on this amazing process that is going on at the humanitarian center. Monday we were asked to go down for a few hours with our sergers and sew sanitary napkins. I thought, "well that is something I can do, I have a serger." So I picked up my friend Shelly and off we went. It was amazing. Never thought I would use that word for this project. But it was one of the most humbling experiences I have ever had. And this week I really needed to be brought to my knees in gratitude for all that I have. It was a definate poor pitty me party week. Anyway, they take 3 pieces of flannel 3" x 10" and you serge all the way around them. They need 15,000 of them in packets of 5 each to send to Salt Lake City's humanitarian center so that they can put them with theirs and send them to 3rd world countries, where I know with every fiber of my being that those women there will think that they have received the most amazing gift.
After 3 hours of sewing, we had not even made a dent. I wanted to stay all day, it was such a great feeling being able to do this. And Shelly was cutting them all out so precisely and we had the best visit so I really did not want to leave, but I had to take Herb's mom to the doctor so we did. Sister Harris asked is anyone would mind taking home a box and sewing at home, so I took one home. Here it is about 2/3rds still full. You cannot believe all of these pads. They just continued to multiply by the second. I would sew and sew and sew and it just seemed that the box never got any emptier. I think that was Heavenly Fathers way of keeping me in the humble mode, cuz the poor pitty me party was still popping up in my head. So I just kept plugging away at it and the more I did the better I felt. I am telling you, if you are in a funk, you need to go and find something to do for someone else, and if you have no clue what that is, well then go to the humanitarian center, they have so much stuff that needs to be done and the spirit lives there 24/7. I know I am going back.

Well now it is Thursday here is part of the mountain. This picture was taken at about halfway through the box. I now have about 1/2 hour left to finish the edges and then I need to clip these apart and stack them back in the box. That will be todays project. I try to imagine how I would ever be excited for these maxi pads, but I know with everything that I have, these humble women will know that these are such a gift from their Heavenly Father. I wish that every day I could be that humble. To be grateful for all the things that I have. The small and simple things that make our lives so much better. I have come down, way down from my poor pitty me party and am trying to have a party of gratitude for everything that is mine. For my home and running water that can be either hot or cold. For a refrigerator to keep the food fresh and good. For a car to get me where I need to go. For a family with a ton of things that seem to be going wrong all of the time that reminds us that prayers are answered every single day in our behalf. For a ward family the lets me serve their children whom I love with everything I have in me. For friends who love me and always know when I need them and show up. For a husband who works harder then anyone I know and then still gives us so much of himself. For the ability to serve, for that I am most grateful. So from now on when I pass the maxi pad isle in the store, I will think of the sweet sisters in the 3rd world country who got a small package of 5 homemade maxi pads and were ever so grateful for them, and I will pause and count my blessings one more time. I am thankful that I had a serger and was asked to go help with this project. It was the opportunity of a lifetime. I hope for more of these opportunities, they are out there for sure and I pray that I will stop my complaining and get myself over to that wonderful humanitarian center and serve, less pitty parties, more glorious opportunities to make great peoples lives a little bit better. Have a wonderful day today, and every day. Let's count our blessings instead of wondering why me. You are all wonderful and amazing and I am so grateful for all of you in my life. Thanks for making it so much better.


8 comments:

elizabeth lawlor said...

how stinkin amazing is that?
you are such a wonderful example wendi!! :) we REALLY need to catch up!!

Anonymous said...

Wendi. you are my hero!

curtis and jacque dana said...

How neat mom! Sure puts things in perspective when we have our pity parties...which mine was today, so thanks for helping me get over that!I just need to say I LOVE WASHING DISHES! Atleast we have hot water, soap, and a dishwasher. Things could be way worse. thanks again, we love you and miss you!

Stephanie and Cody Sunderhaus said...

I learned that very lesson myself this past year. I was so grateful for having so many people in need around me that it just got me away from all my problems. I LOVE SERVICES! I'm so glad you got to do this and I'm SO proud of you for accomplishing that huge pile! Love you tons!

Marilyn said...

I am soooooo glad that I was able to buy the disposable ones. I can't even imagine. By the way, my funk was 2 weeks ago, so the next time I have one, I am coming back to this post to remind myself of just how good I have it. THANKS!!

Kassi said...

Yay! I found one of my most favorite people in the whole wide world blog! Just to let you know that I think your pretty much awesome!!

Sunderhaus Family said...

You are a great example of service.

Sherrie said...

You amaze me!!!!!! Thanks for your example and love you have always showed me. Your post was very touching. It is so very true. Losing yourself in service changes everything. I was so excited to see your comment to me on my blog!!!! Thanks for your kind words!!! I miss you guys!!! I can't eat a tuna sandwich without thinking of our lunches together!! You would always tell me its just tuna today. But little did you know I loved it and best of all was spending the afternoon with you!!!! I still love tuna sandwiches!!! I hope you know how much you impacted my life. I felt so alone when we moved to Mesa as a newly weds and so far from family. You just took me in like we had been friends for years. Jamie and I were just talking about you guys and how we would laugh for hours tell we cried with you and your hubby. I'm excited to keep updated on your family. Thanks for sending the wedding annoucments to us. I can't believe how fast time has gone by!!! Let us know when you are coming back to St. George. I think you said the 4th what month. We would love to come and see you when you come!!! Have a great week. Thanks again for your post!!!